Monday, December 14, 2009

Holiday Happenings

That's what's been keeping me busy around here beyond the regular work/school/craziness we always have going on. How about you? Are you running around like mad, too?!

I have to admit that generally speaking, the holidays stress me out. The anticipation, the preparations, the expense (yes, I said it - it's true!) all adds up. So occasionally (quit laughing, husband!) it can make me a bit of a grump. But this year I'm really trying hard to do something fun and holiday-related every day to not only get myself more in the spirit but to show the boys how wonderful and special this time of year is.

We've collected items for our local food banks, toiletries and sundries for our service men and women overseas, went to see an amazing light display, built a gingerbread house, decorated the house/tree, baked cookies and then some. But I have to say one of the most magical things I've seen so far this holiday season is this site under our Christmas tree yesterday afternoon.

We had given the boys some quiet time to rest a bit because these crazy weather changes (warm, freezing, warm, freezing) has us all fighting colds. After about 15 minutes, I got up from our den and found this in our family room. What a site. Note the markers still in his hand and the Kool-aid moustache from lunch! hee! I just love it. I think I shall never be grumpy about the holidays again.

Holidays blessings to all of you and yours!
Happy Monday, all!
xoxo,
k.

20 comments:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Beautiful..

Yes, I'm the grump over here doing the exact same thing! Not a card has been written, not a gift has been wrapped.... I'm working up until Christmas.. every stinkin' day...
And trying to be chipper, happy and sharing any possible magic with my family!!!
xo

Nikki Foraker said...

awwww what an ADORABLE picture!!! LOVIN' the kool-aid stash! HA i'm extra HAPPY this holiday because my SAILOR IS HOME!! although he leaves Jan 2nd for 7 months...at least he is home for Christmas!

nikki

Debbie said...

What a beautiful site !~ I'm usually a grump till the first snow. As long as there's snow, it's Christmas !~

Jen said...

visions of sugar plums are surely dancing in his head :) What a wonderful shot!

Lynn said...

I can almost see the layout this classic picture will lead to!

Martha said...

He looks adorable! This is a Christmas Postcard photo shot!

Anonymous said...

Moments like these fleet from us too quickly, but memories like these stay FOREVER :) May you and yours have a very BLESSED Christmas and a prosperous New Year!!!

Jenny B in Indy said...

That is SO precious!

Linda said...

Kelly i just had to comment this time..try hard not to be grumpy (I know this is hard with everything else us mums have to do) and enjoy every single magical minute it really does go by so quickly. My kids are 15 and 17 now and although christmas is still special its not as magical and exciting as when they were little.
That photo is gorgeous.
Linda

Jane said...

That photo say's it all Kelly slow down relax a while even if you are working right up to 5pm xmas eve (like me) I to like you have decided that every minuet I have free will be spent trying to wind down take in a little xmas magic and try not to grump out lol.
So far its working:)
Have a wonderful xmas Kelly

Jodi Geers said...

Such a sweet photo...

Michelle said...

Oh Kelly, this is so sweet!! I love it!! That will surely take away the grumpies!! Don't feel too bad about your weather.. it goes from 25 above to -25 below here in WI this last week or so. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!! ~Michelle

kim.mom said...

ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS!!!!!

Barb said...

Love this photo, Kelly. What a precious moment you captured here.

Yoli said...

That is an amazing picture! As a mom of course I think its darling. As a novice photographer I am intrigued by the clarity of this photo. The Christmas lights and his little face are just perfect. Do you have a DSLR? If so, what settings did you use? Looks like there is some natural light in the photo. This photo is the kind you see on ads that make you feel warm and cozy about the holidays! Simply awesome!!

Kelly Goree Photography said...

Hi Yoli - Yes, I have a DSLR. I had my camera set on 1600 film speed (which is why his face/pillow) is pretty grainy (I smoothed his face some in photoshop),I was down on the floor as still as I could be (to keep it clear and to keep me from moving since he was already still for a change! ;)) I used the A-DEP setting to allow for max. light. HTH :)

lisa dickinson said...

oh the heart tugs! just adorable! :)

Connie Fossenier said...

Now that is christmas in it's finest definition. I really enjoy your blog and such inspiration from your scrapbook layouts.
connie paxman

Ann @ The Scrapbooking Housewife said...

You captured such a precious moment so beautifully! :-)

Elisabeth Helland said...

so peaceful and adorable...... that is a picture and moment to remember....