Thursday, February 11, 2010

PSA: Valentines & Boys

Just consider this a small PSA:

Pre-made, store-bought valentines and 4th grade boys do NOT mix.

There. I've done my civic duty for the day in warning all you moms out there that as your sweet boys get older, it gets harder and harder to find something suitable to pass out to classmates - especially of the GIRL variety - and not be embarrassed by them. But yet they are still young enough to want to pass out said valentines. Oh what is a mom to do??!

Well....if your a mom like *me*, you let your little boys happily buy and address Transformer Valentines of the store-bough $2.99 variety and promise your oldest that you'd help him make some. And then you get distracted by the other bazilliondy things going on in your life and, oh yeah, a week of snow days, then you suddenly remember - DRAT! - the Valentine's parties are tomorrow...tomorrow! And then you (like most techno-hip moms) put out a call on Facebook for just the right thing that will a) not embarrass child and b) can be done in the 15 minutes you have to spare.

And of course, my wonderful facebook friends came to the rescue! As we already had purchased Tootsie Pops to give to his friends, Candi pointed me in the direction of these cute little Valentine Playbills from bunnycakes.typepad.com. They were just perfect! I printed them out on some dotted swiss cardstock, rounded the corners, had E sign them and then tied them onto the lollies. I was golden! And now you other last minute moms can be, too!

Here are a few other fun sights that were suggest if any others of you are still looking!
Cute treat bag toppers from Heather Ann Designs
House of 3 Valentine Mini Cards

Have a wonderful Thursday!
xoxo,
k.

7 comments:

Barb said...

Star Wars Valentines. That's what my 7 and 9 year old boys gave out this year. I'm not sure how well it went over at the school, but they were happy to write them at home. :)

lisa truesdell said...

ben did star wars, alex did bakugan. SO hoping i don't have to go the crafty route next year. ;)

Tara Orr said...

awesome and 'cool mom' idea! way to save the day!

Jennifer said...

I wish I had seen this about 6 hours ago. I am in the same predicament as you ( although my son is 6)... I had planned on helping him make something.. but I just started grad school and forgot.. and then this week has all been snowed in! I had already purchased lollipops too.. but I made a frantic run at 3pm to the grocery store where they were clearing the Valentine's stuff and putting out the Easter stuff.. and I managed to pick up a box of Lego valentines. My son was appalled he would have to give them to the girls, but I told him it was that or nothing.. poor guy.

Michelle said...

I will have to save the link for the future. I have a 3 yr old son, that unfortunately all too soon will be starting school. This year, my jr. high daughter and I made a few valentine's for her friends with some BG's Bittersweet papers!! :)

kelly said...

you make me laugh :)
xoxo

*reyanna* said...

Great idea. So cute. :-)