Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Moment of a Lifetime












Have you ever had one of those completely serendipitous moments?
They're extremely rare, but we sure experienced one of them tonight and it was amazing!

Tonight as we were coming home from my parent's house (where we celebrated my stepdad's birthday), Ethan pointed to a hot air balloon he saw on the other side of the interstate. It was such a calm, gorgeous day and apparently the balloons were out in full force taking advantage of it.
The one E pointed to was hovering just above the ground, almost looking like it was going to set down just off the the road. I gave my sweet husband one of "those looks" (he knows them well enough when it comes to me ;)), and he took the next exit so we could do a little balloon chasing.

We stopped just as the balloon setting down. I jumped out of the car, ran across the open field with my camera (that I just happened to have for the Birthday party), snapping away. I know, you're shocked, right? As I get up close, I see other families that had stopped just as we had to admire the beauty. And when I was finally within earshot, I heard the captain invite all the children watching to board the balloon as they "hopped" it across the field to their other balloon for deflation.











ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

I waved the boys to come over and the next thing you know, they were lifted into the gondola and the smiles didn't leave their faces from that point on. Hoyte joined a few others in walking the balloon along to help guide it. Carson was hollering at him the entire time, "LOOK, Daddy! I'm FLYING!" It was unbelieveable - totally one of those moments I'll never forget!
(If you click on any of the images, you'll find 1 or 3 of my kids peeking over the gondola basket with a look of utter amazement! ;))

Hope you had a magical weekend, too!

(P.S. School starts in just over a week??! WHA'?! Can you believe it?

20 comments:

Anne House said...

That is just totally cool!! I hd something similar happen last august...had always wanted to photo a balloon regatta, but living in the middle of no where was getting nowhere with this hope...till driving home one night we just 'ran across' a balloon regatta! And they were having aglow that evening and a dawn launch the next day...when God rains down blessings on His children...sometimes its a shower!! Glad you had a great weekened!!

Susan Beth said...

Very super cool! Amazing opportunity!

Cathy said...

How awesome!!!! This coming weekend there is a local hot air balloon festival!! I can't wait to take my girls up in one! !:)

Sasha Farina said...

ohhhh how awesome is that!! totally!

Pam in Moncton said...

Look at those smiles! What wonderful luck you had in being there just at the right time and how nice was it that they invited the kids in.
Pam

debbiec said...

how cool!!! and how lucky! awesome pics!

The Sonboul's said...

THIS IS SO COOL! LUCKY! Someday I'd love to add this to my list
Bradley was just gifted a ride on the Good Year Blimp.

Mom of 3 Boys said...

really really neat! great pics!!

Kelly Noel said...

how fun is that?! so awesome that you thought to stop and the boys got to ride!!

Brianne Nevill said...

What a cool experience!! I bet the boys had an absolute blast! Great pictures girl!

Mer said...

That looks like a blast!! I love balloons...all that bright color against the blue sky.

becky said...

how fun! great shots too :)

Katrina said...

that is awesome!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting Kelly your photos are wonderful. They would make a great page for a certain book I know someone is working on ;) I can't believe your kids are heading back to school so soon ... xo xo xo

april said...

kelly that is such a fun story! what an experience for your boys!!

Kimber McGray said...

that's so cool!
how awesome of them to invite the kids to join in.
they won't forget it for a long long time!

Anonymous said...

what a cool little adventure! love the pics you got!

Kirsten said...

That is the best story - even better that you got pictures - that memory will live forever for your guys!

Melissa said...

HOW AWESOME!!!

I am totally jealous. Sometimes, we get balloons flying right over our house, but we haven't seen one in over a year.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so cool, what and awesome experience (and lucky for them that mom even had the camera-- yeah you!!!)