Sunday, December 04, 2011

On the 3rd & 4th day of December...

I want to share with you....

....the cover and first day of my December daily. Believe it or not (even *I* can hardly believe it!) I'm actually caught up to today (Day 4), but wasn't able to photo the finished pages due to icky rainy weather and the fact that it now gets dark at noon. :P

I must admit I am completely enamored with this little album. I have had such fun borrowing little tidbits and techniques that I've been dying to try as well as mixing a hodge-podge of different materials and manufacturers all in one little cute 6"x8" package.

Like what you might ask? Well to start, the sweet little tree on my cover. I totally swiped that from my uber-talented friend Summer Fullerton and her winter cover of Scrapbook & Cards Today. I have such an abundance of sweet little stitched brads from BasicGrey and what better way to use them? I might have actually squealed when I finished with it. It just makes me happy. And check out those old school Making Memories grommets. Those puppies have been in my stash for 5 years or more? More....and then some I'm sure, but they were just perfect here. (I always knew I'd find just the right project for them!) They fit easily into the corrugated cardboard I cut for the front and back cover. I had used a 6x6" album last year and it ended up being just a bit smaller than I'd have liked. I think this 6"x8" size is going to be a favorite.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Supplies: BasicGrey Brads, green alphas; Doodlebug alphas; Jillibean diecuts and paper; Heidi Swapp star; Making Memories grommets; twine

Then for the intro I used some easy Jillibean diecuts and a take on a fab sketch by my friend Becky Fleck at PageMaps. I'm planning on using quite a few of Beck's sketches on this project because a) they rock and b) they keep me from having to think too hard when I'm busy this season. It's the perfect combination. I also loved how Kendra McCracken included a little blurb about why do a December Daily album in hers, so I modified the wording just a bit and included it in mine as well.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Supplies: Jillibean Soup (all but); October Afternoon (snowflake paper).

And then day 1. For us Christmas begins and ends (quite literally) with our tree. This first spread is dedicated to that. I loved the shot of the tree that showed all the bokeh in the lights so I made it a full page image and then just inserted photos of my boys decorating it. It was that easy. The other page just reminds me of how tiny my guys still are even though it seems like they're growing by the second. It makes me want to smile and cry all at the same time.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Supplies: BasicGrey PP (tree/stripe), number sticker; Jillibean pp and diecuts; Heidi Swapp star

I'm feeling very accomplished right now. This AND outdoor holiday lights knocked out in a 48 hour period! ;) I am going to try my best to keep up with it as it's just one little something I'm doing for ME this holiday season.

So tell me - are you doing a DD? Want to link me to yours?! If you're not doing a DD, is there something else you're doing just for you? I think everyone deserves to treat themselves nicely and not just everyone else especially during the craziness of the holidays!

Hope your weekend was magical! And remember! I still have a giveaway open in the post below. Don't miss it as I'll probably close it up tomorrow!
xoxo,
kg


21 comments:

Michelle said...

LOVE the photo of the tree. Please please share how you did that!! I went out with a photographer this fall and she gave me tips on shooting in full manual. So I am learning. No DD album. Actually, I have never made a mini before. Can you believe that?

Michelle said...

So caught up in that cool photo, I forgot to say that your album is beautiful!! I love the tree with the brads. Each page is put together so well. I may just have to give it a try.

Unknown said...

Kel, this looks great- I feel your joy of accomplishment as I'm also caught up to today ( day 4) and feeling very high about it! Haven't posted mine yet but will soon. Keep it up, I'm cheering you on!! xo

Romy said...

Your december daily looks gorgeous so far! I just love the way you're showcasing these photos! This album will make a wonderful way to remember this month of December. I don't do a December Daily, cause unfortunately December is a really busy month schoolwise. But you definitely make me want to make one after seeing your gorgeous DD!

Стокли said...

Kelly, it's really cute=) I saw the SCT winter cover, but the tree didn't caught my eye there, and you cover - it is really great.

Unknown said...

So far so good with my own DD. It's my first year trying -- and the first time I've tried my hand at finishing a mini album. I'm having fun all over the place.

We've got Winter lighting issues, too, so I will consider it a blessing if I'm able to snap pics and post a blog about the first four days.

Kylie Smith said...

WOW - your DD looks AWESOME!! I am managing to stay on top of mine, but it certain ally doesn't look anything like yours!!! Amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

It's simply awesome, Kelly. December is always so busy I'm lucky just to finish decorating by Christmas so I've not done a DD, but yours is truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Now I'm off to get my BGPOTM done for Wednesday's class! :-)

Christina said...

I love your December Daily! This is my second year doing one and so far so good. :)

www.raptormama.com

Margie said...

your dd is awesome!

{dawn} said...

Such a beautiful cover to your DD - the tree looks wonderful made with all of those adorable BG brads! Love, love, love your tree photos! Thanks for posting! You are always an inspiration!

Stephanie Howell said...

kelly i LOVE this. you are so talented...everything you touch is just beautiful.xxo

Melanie said...

Gorgeous! Swooning.....

Lisa J said...

Gorgeous album! I really loved the stitched brads on the cover to form a Christmas tree.

Kendra said...

Absolutely perfect! : )

NatQuebec said...

bravo ! it's very very nice :-)

jessica - craftychicgirl said...

love the cover of the album, especially the use of the brads for the tree!

Vianna said...

your DDaily is Beautiful! What fonr are you using for the journaling? I love that typewriter feel ... Thanx & Happy Holidays

Lady J said...

I absolutely love your album...and Pinned into my album board on Pinterest. New follower, here!

Susi said...

This is hands down my favorite DD album ever.

AtStudioD said...

This is so cute. Just saw it on pinterest! :)