Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Stamping A to Z

October?
Really?
Really.
Sheesh. From now until the end of the year, everything is going to be on fast forward, isn't it? Yikes!
So sorry I've been MIA, but I've been trying to enjoy as much of this incredible autumn weather as possible. I hope you don't blame me! But before my poor old blog starts to develop cobwebs, I figured I better post an update and what could be better than a stamping tutorial?! (And a winner, too - announced at the end of this post!)

I had the honor to be asked to contribute to Two Peas in a Bucket's Stamping A to Z event for the month of October. I am *so* not a huge stamper, but I've been loving it more and more lately thanks in large part to our affiliation with Hero Arts their gorgeous stamps based on our BasicGrey designs.

Photobucket
Supplies: BasicGrey Life of the Party patterned papers, stamps, transparency; Wander alpha stickers
Other: American Crafts Zing Embossing powder, Versamark ink, Bazzill cardstock & buttons, Jillibean Soup twine, Fiskars punches.

For this layout, I used BasicGrey's Life of the Party papers & rubber cling background stamps. The stamping is on the tickets that are to the left of the photo as well as the little ticket "parts" that are used as accents.

In these close ups, you can really see the fun I had with the details on this page especially that embossing. Have I mentioned I loveeeee embossing especially with all the fun colors of Zing! that there is and how beautifully and crisply the BG/Hero stamps...well...STAMP!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Tickets patterns and shapes have been a huge trend in scrapbooking for the past six months or so and I can't get enough of them. A handful of tickets is so fun but even MORE fun when you can customize them and make them your own. And that's exactly what I did for this layout of Turner's 9th birthday. And here's how I did it:

This is what you'll need to get started: a clear embossing pad/ink, embossing powders, a favorite stamp, a heat gun and some cardstock. (This is a FANTASTIC way to use up your scrap bits and pieces!) P.S. Please ignore the totally wrecked BG cutting mat. I use mine daily and it is much loved...and very old ;)
Photobucket

Ink up your stamp with the clear embossing ink.
Photobucket

Stamp onto smooth cardstock (or the backside of textured cardstock). Be sure to press nice and firmly all the way around. (I didn't do this as well as I should in my hurry to take these photos and you'll see that in the next image - oops!)
Photobucket

While your image is still wet....
Photobucket

....sprinkle desired color of embossing powder over your design making sure to cover it completely.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Heat your design from underneath until the powder melts forming a smooth image. I heat from underneath to keep my image from "burning" - those heat guns get crazy HOT!
Photobucket

Once your design has cooled, cut scraps into ticket shapes. I used a variety of sizes, but for this particular one, the measurements are 1.5"x3".
Photobucket

Using a small circle punch (or even a hole punch), snip off the corners of the rectangle to make it look like a ticket. Experiment and play around to give each one a unique look.
Photobucket

And there you have it! Ta-da!!
Photobucket

I hope you'll try making some of your own. If you do, please link me up. I'd love to see them!
And finally the winner of the BasicGrey PICADILLY and the Fall issue of Scrapbook & Cards Today...Come on down, KRISTIN HAYNE!!! Congratulations, girl, and please email me at kelly(dot)goree(at)gmail(dot)com to claim your prize!
Photobucket
Have a great week!
xoxo,
kg

5 comments:

Marinette-Scraptherapie said...

Such a gorgeous page! Love the mix of colors! Thanks for sharing with us your technique for stamping;)
Bisous
Marinette

Michelle L. said...

Saw this layout at 2Peas, but was even more thrilled to read more about some of the details here. You are the master!

P.S. Typically, when I scraplift, I use one part of the inspiration piece in my resulting layout... perhaps the design, the colors, a technique. But, I recently made a layout that was scraplifted from you and because I loved your original so much, I changed almost nothing about it. If you're curious, it's posted on the BasicGrey Flickr site, and the layout is called "Pretty." It tells the story of my daughter learning to speak her second word (pretty). Thanks for the amazing inspiration!

Kristin Hayne said...

I love the tutorial and such great colors!! Thanks for picking me Kelly!!

GabyCreates.com said...

Love love your LO! Congrats to winner!!!

Svjetlana said...

Fantastic tutorial I will sure be using it on my pages and as always your page is just brilliant.